Thursday, March 28, 2013

Reusable Cloth Food Covers




     In my efforts to try to cut back on what we throw away, I decided another way we can reduce is by cutting out how much plastic we toss. Cling wrap can't be recycled, unless you save and reuse it---which I have been know to do! 

It's been awhile since I made these so I don't have my receipts anymore but I can still give a pictorial tutorial (say that 5 times fast!) with a materials list.








Materials:
1/2 yard fabric (feel free to reuse scraps)
1 package elastic cord
thread
scissors
sewing machine

STEP 1--MEASURING AND CUTTING
 Lay out your fabric on a surface you can't damage by accidentally cutting through (we've been over this, lol). Take a typical sized container lid or a favorite bowl that you cover often and place it, on top of your fabric. If you're using a container, place the open end of the container against the fabric for measuring (duh!). 

I am lazy, so since I was making these for myself, I didn't measure carefully. I cut about 2 inches around the lid I chose. I only went halfway around and then I removed the lid and folded it in half and then half again and cut the other side. I have had difficulty in the past with symmetry when cutting without measuring and this helps. If you measure, skip this step and just measure about 2" all the way around. If you're lazy too, here's some pictures if it helps.



STEP 2--STAY STITCHING
 Next, you need to stay stitch the edges so it won't ravel, especially since this is something you will possibly be tossing in the washer. If you have a serger, use it, if not a tight zig-zag stitch will work just as well.

STEP 3--SEWING
 Fold down your edge about a half inch or so and sew down with a regular straight stitch. In case you're an inexperienced sewer, sewing down an edge on something round is a bit challenging. It won't lay flat. Be prepared to fold it a bit here and there or stretch the fabric or whatever you need to do to get that edge sewn down all the way around.
 NOTE: Okay, here's a step where I'd have done something a bit different. If I make any more of these, I'll be putting in a buttonhole close to the edge of my stay-stitching before folding down and sewing. 

STEP 4--ELASTIC
 Take out your elastic cord and measure around the rim of whatever you're planning on covering with these. Subtract about 1/2". It's not an exact science but unless you want it to fall off, you'll need it to be a bit smaller. Snip a hole in the pocket you've just created with your straight stitch and thread through your elastic. If you made a buttonhole, you can open it with a seam ripper and place the elastic through there. Tightly knot  the ends of the elastic.
 NOTE: In case you've never threaded elastic through a hole, the best way is to attach a safety pin to the end and push the pin through the casing. Since it was cording and not flat elastic, I tied a knot and pinned the knot.

VOILA! Bowl Covers!

VARIATIONS:
1) You can reuse scrap fabric to save cost and recycle.
2) You can use vinyl backed fabric to make these stain resistant and water proof














No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking time to read and comment. As soon as I make sure its not mean or spam, I will post it!